From:
Judy Le Van Fram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2006 09:58:44 EST
Pat writes:

We are sort  of on a path here, whether we like  it or not :-(  BTW, I don't
think the path needs to be via medical or nursing school.  PT's don't  have
to go that route.  In the US, unfortunately,  CNMs go thru  the nursing
school  route, elsewhere in the world CNM is a route of  it's own

~~ I may be missing something but I would think that a Certified Nurse
Midwife would have to be a nurse. A lay midwife, not but a CNM is a nurse  right?
As for PT, yes it is a stand-alone profession in terms on not having to  be an
MD or an RN to be a PT but one does have to graduate from a school  accredited
in physical therapy,( usually at the Masters or Doctoral level,  another
controversy of growth among PTs now one almost has to be a Doctor of  Physical
Therapy, many schools are discontinuing their BS and MS programs) to  even take
the PT boards to be licensed.

There is also no mandate to join the American Physical Therapy Association
and it seems each state where one is registered sets Scope of Practice.
Interesting thing I found out just now, is if you search for PT programs, most  of
the time, you don't get them, you get Massage Therapy programs, which  is  a
subset of PT skills, with its own intrinsic value but not the same  thing at
all. Guess all healthcare professions struggle...

Peace,
Judy