From:
Lori Buendia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Aug 2006 10:00:18 -0700
I really like the terms "animal based milk feeding" and "plant based milk feeding" I believe it would take moms and families a moment to process what we are saying, thus paying a moment's more attention to the differences. "Animal based" to me does sound like feeding at a lower level.
  Lori buendia, RNC, IBCLC
  Merced, California, USA

gonneke van veldhuizen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Wonders of language ..
In my mothertongue, the commonday name for humanmilk is ''mothermilk'' (''moedermelk''), but still it is, by the larger part of people around here considered to be a wonderfull substance for a woman's own child, but a ''yuck'' to all other human beings. I am tending to use the Dutch equivalent for human milk (''mensenmelk'') more and more and refer to moms and babies as ''human moms'' and ''human babies'', and to AIM as ''animal milk based feeding'' or ''plant based feeding''. Many mother appear to be surprised that AIM actually is just modified animal milk.

Warmly,

Gonneke, IBCLC, LLLL in sunny southern Netherlands

Nikki Lee wrote:
Dear Friends:
Nina brings up on of my favorite language topics of our work. I use human
milk instead of 'breast milk' everywhere that I can. Talking about 'breast'
milk disassociates the milk from the mother, reinforces the idea that the
product ( milk ) either comes from a bottle or from a breast...........and not from
a human mother.