Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 2011 15:45:50 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (55 lines)
In my experience, the hospital-grade pumps remove a greater percentage of milk than a "work" or "convenience" pump.  At a conference I attended once, the researchers showed that a  healthy nursing baby removes about 75% of available milk over a 24 hour period and with each mer, less milk is ejected and greater percentage of milk removed.  If a pump does not stimulate enough milk ejections to remove at least 75% of the available milk, then supply will drop.  I think everyone should read Nancy Morbacher's simple explanation of milk supply and volume control in the book Breastfeeding Made Simple.  The problem with most moms who are exclusively pumping for whatever reason is they don't have an understanding of what Nancy calls their Magic Milk Number.  An inefficient pump combined with insufficient frequency can cause loss of milk supply.  An efficient pump used infrequently can cause a loss of milk supply.  An inefficient pump used VERY frequently (more than most moms are willing to do) may NOT cause a loss of supply.  The problem is we don't have breast pumps that can sense the frequency and efficiency the breast needs in order to maintain supply.  When we invent a sensor that signals the pump to jump on the breasts and elicit MER and continue until milk is drained with little effort for mom, we will make millions.  But wait!!!!  There is such a thing!!  And it only costs about half a million dollars over the course of 21 years.  It's called a baby!  

I need a laugh.
And I need to go home today. 

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:31 PM
Subject: Re: Need Objective info on Pumps

Jennifer writes:

She was  told by someone at the pharmacy that the Medela freestyle is as effective as a  symphony or elite.  Is this true, based on your experience?

I  don't have much experience with pumps and the only info I have is from medela,  who states that the freestyle is appropriate for "maintaining supply." 

Jennifer,

Mothers I've worked with have shown me that the Freestyle isn't always even  as good as the Pump in Style, let alone a hospital grade rental. The phrase  "maintaining supply" generally refers to a situation in which a
healthy,thriving- on- breastfeeding baby is driving the supply in a healthy mom (with no risk factors for production issues), and it's proven to be as  full as needed, but the mom is needing/choosing to pump a  few times a day, usually 3 or less. The rest of the time the baby is nursing well and doing the driving. Breast reduction surgery potential impact, premature baby ( and in this  case babies), and no baby latching at all, give me many reasons I would recommend a move to a hospital-grade pump. 

Does that help?
Peace,
Judy  

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL
Brooklyn, NY, USA
[log in to unmask]  

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL
Brooklyn, NY,  USA
[log in to unmask]

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2