From:
Liz Flight <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Apr 1997 14:54:56 -0400

<< Date:    Tue, 1 Apr 1997 11:38:54 -0500
 From:    "Laurie Wheeler, RNC, MN, IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
 Subject: Re: new term for LCs??

<< And they should be accorded the  same respect as any other non md
 therapist would >>

 Lactnuts,
 I've been thinking about this for awhile now.  This post made me want to run
 this by all of you.  Would we get more respect, be thought of as an allied
 health profession with the name "lactation THERAPIST"  ?? Of course we would
 have to change our professional org. and certifying board names to ILTA  and
 IBLTE!!  And most of our affiliate names too!
 Just a thought,
 Laurie Wheeler, RNC, MN, IBCLT?? >>

Laurie, This reminded me of my first job as a nurse in a Rehabilitation
Institute (spinal cord, head injured, etc).  We were called "nurse
therapists" because we helped coordinate all the therapies for each of our
primary patients at the rehab (PT, OT, Speech, etc).  This was the beginnings
of "case management" back in the 80's. We were also responsible for training
family members on the evening shifts in the therapies their loved ones were
receiving during the daytime.  Does sound familiar doesn't it???