From:
Duce Linda <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 2003 15:19:48 -0500
Dear Lactnetters,

I'm stumped.  I have a mom (who has given me permission to ask) whose baby
is now over 12 weeks old, and baby just experienced a plateauing of her
weight, (again)ultimately requiring supplementation to achieve weight gain.
Mom has a history of insufficient milk supply (baby#1--she tells me she also
spontaneously "dried up" at 6 mos.) and a documentable insufficient milk
supply (baby #2) this time as well, though she has been able to achieve a
much larger amount this time, especially with the help of Domperidone. (Her
milk supply zoomed at week 7 by the way).  We tried SNS (baby flicked it out
no matter what position it was used in, including finger feeding) frequent
feeds, and pumping (mom couldn't afford hospital grade until now, so was
using Pump in style--knew the caveats).  Ultimately it was Domperidone and
dogged determination that brought her milk supply up, and for a short
period, she was able to go without any type of supplementation.  During this
time evidently the Dom. was affecting her gut, so she reduced the # per day,
and evidently also reduced slightly frequency nursing, and baby also began
to sleep thru the night.

When we noticed the plateauing and became concerned (this baby also tends to
gain in fits and spurts--a few ounces a week then suddenly 10-12 oz) we
calculated baby's need and mom is able to deliver the "textbook" need.  Now,
however, baby is tending to "fight" at the breast.  She's tried seclusion to
prevent this very busy baby from becoming too distracted to eat.  Mom does
not let down easily with the pump, and I suspect mom may be a bit tense as
well.  Have suggested having her pump to let down, then putting baby on, but
am afraid that will increase her tension, too.

Latch has been good from very early on, tho Mom says she is beginning to
"slip" which we have addressed.  Finally, I noticed today (something I may
have addressed earlier and then forgot--mom did have pedi evaluate) that
baby has a small ankyloglossia.  She can form a groove and her tongue can
protrude, but have also suggested an evaluation for that.

Have suggested she begin pumping to let down, (she got oxytocin spray on her
own as well early on) but am also thinking she should pump a bit longer to
get to hind milk.  Does anyone have any other ideas?

Sorry this is so long....wish I had a magic wand, because if any woman
deserves things to happen easily and well, it's this wonderful mom.

Many many thanks in advance,

Linda Duce RN CNM Austin, TX