From:
Kate Hallberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 2006 22:04:16 -0600
I have been absent far too long, and fear I will be longer due to
many, many things happening with my kids that don't involve
breastfeeding.   *sigh*   Why didn't anyone tell me life was easier
with a newborn than these bigger people?

My sister just delivered by c-section this morning at the Atchison,
KS, US hospital.   She is an "elderly primip" of 46 with a very
supportive partner and a 2.5 yo adopted daughter whom she did not
breastfeed.   (although I suggested it and wasn't resisted strongly).
 She plans to breastfeed and was getting help this evening when I
called BIL 12 hours after birth.   I'm not sure who was helping- she
was learning a football hold as we spoke, but BIL was too tired to
speak cohherently; hence too tired to gather information from.  :-P
He was amazed that my sister was able to hear and respond to "whomever
was helping", but since he is a chemist I reminded him of the power of
oxytocin.

I hope she is in good hands and would like to hear if anyone knows of
the situation there at what is likely a small hospital.   I would like
to help refer to additional support locally if needed, and am willing
to get out there myself if she wishes.   I am also interested in
locating a shop that carries a nursing pillow like "my brest friend"
which will likely work well for her because it was wonderful for me,
and we are about the same size.    So far the hospital staff seems
respectful of their wishes but I want to see sucess here- and it's SO
hard when I have to sit on my hands until asked for more help!

--
--
Kate, http://systems.cs.colorado.edu/~kolina/advantages-of-formula.html

"The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every
object only the traits that favor that theory." ~ Thomas Jefferson