From:
Naomi Bar-Yam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 12:04:06 -0500
I did my dissertation research on bf and the workplace,
and two of my research sites were hospitals that had some kind
of family friendly policy in place. I also interviewed women who
worked in places with no policies in place.
Some general statements:
1. The best way to promote bf in the workplace is to do it.
Many women who worked in places with no bf policy in place
were very proud of their roles as educators to the employer
and inspiration to women who came after them. They were also
pleased that they made the road easier for the women who came
after them.

2. It seems obvious, but bears repeating. Women who work in
their own offices usually also have more control over their time
and, as a result, they have an easier time than women who work
in public spaces. We usually think of people working in public
spaces as those who have "lower level jobs" whatever than means.
Medical professionals and teachers know better than anyone
that is not true.

3. Lawyers, accountants and others also live in professional
cultures that say, "if you don't work full time i.e. 60-80 hours
a week, then you are not really dedicated to your profession."
This is a hard attitude to change, but it can be done, mostly
by more people putting families first and both documenting the
benefits to the workplace (fewer sick days because of healthier
babies) and also saying and acting upon the other attitude of
"to hell with this attitude, I don't buy it" This is not easy,
but it can be done. Again, the more people who do it, the easier
it is.

4. Keep in mind for yourselves and remind employers that this is
a temporary situation. Nursing doesn't last forever, the need to pump
at work is even more short lived. Even early childhood doesn't last
forever. The kids do get older, move onto other stages, need us
in different ways that can be worked around the work schedule more
easily - sometimes:)

5. Find support. Find one another, in your practices, at conferences,
in the park, wherever. Share stories, tears, trumphs, strategies.

6. Cultivate support. Challenge your co-workers not to accept the
prevailing attitude. Why does it make you less dedicate or a less good
doctor to patients or colleagues if you work to balance professional
life contribution and family life?

7. Know, and remind yourselves and one another often, that you are
doing the right thing for yourselves, your families, your patients and
society as a whole.

Many practical suggestions have been made. I won't repeat them
here.
  Naomi Bar-Yam