From:
Cheryl Parrott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 15:19:58 EST
I have been following very closely a family in our practice and have been
waiting for an appropiate time to post, and with the recent thread on
"experienced" moms I thought the time was now!  Thought you all might find
this interesting....
Well educated, married mom with third baby contacted me regarding poor
feeding issues and decreased milk supply at about 2-3 weeks of life.  Baby
was latching well-per mom- but after feeding would profusely vomit.  But if
mom pumped and gave expressed bm, baby did great.  Mom began using Mothers
Milk Tea for supply, we worked on latch, feeding techniques, ruling out hypo
or hyper letdown reflex.  Mom eventually nursed occasionally, but mostly
pumped and feed EBM via bottle.  At 2 mo visit status as above, wt looks
great.  At 4 mo visit, child back down to birth wt!!! Looked horrible., pale,
sunken cheeks, wide eyes-almost cacheic(sp?) But developmentally right on
track! Immediatly began watching feedings and wts closely over a few days, no
gain, even loosing.  Admited x 1 wk for Failure To Thrive.  Did not gain
using EBM, with formula supplementation. Testing of moms milk showed very low
protein and cholesterol.  Other kids did fine! Upon dc from local hospital,
went to large regional Childrens hospital for the "millon dollar workup"  for
ongoing FTT. Only thing they found was reflux-on Zantac and propulsid. By now
mom has dried up due to the enormous stress.   Child spent 2 1/2 wks at
childrens hosp, went home on TPN via central line and po feedings of 27cal
Pregestimil!  Over course of last 11/2 months, has had RSV, central line
infection, rotovirus and 2 more weeks of hospitalization.  And line has
clotted and been pulled in just last few days.  So we are now on 30cal
formula  --Nutramigen +human milk fortifier+ polycose powder+ some protein
stuff.  No TPN, po feedings only, no solids, and still vomiting most of all
feedings.  Of only note, is during last local hospital stay speech therapist
thought the child was not sucking correctly????  Now mom is wondering if this
was a problem in the beginning.   Anywho...I still follow them very closely
as we have no source for FTT other than reflux, which still is not
controlled.  Any thoughts or comments????

Humbly,
Cheryl Parrott RN, BSN
Kokomo, IN