From:
The Bentleys <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 16:58:44 -0500
Along the lines of used pumps, just thought I would mention I researched how
to truly clean (sterilize) used nursing bras a while back -

The World Health Organization recommends autoclaving for lab coats and
cotton, so I imagine this would be the route to actually sterilize a bra;
however, I have no idea what boiling a bra at high pressure for 30 minutes
would do to the rubber/elastic in it!  Soaking in ammonia for 30 minutes
(don't smell it) will also sterilize cloth according to one site, but again
I don't know what that would do to the stretchy stuff in a bra (and the
fumes are toxic).  Regular detergents and high wash temperatures kill
bacteria; adding borax or washing soda increases the range of microorganisms
that are killed (but this will not kill certain spores and viruses ).  To
destroy yeast, microwave WET, ALL-COTTON clothing for 5 minutes; or wash in
very hot water and detergent, rinse with vinegar and water, and hang in the
sun to dry.

I would think the best advice for mothers using second-hand bras would be to
disinfect (not sterilize) the bra by washing it in very hot water with
detergent (not soap) and borax or washing soda, rinse in water and vinegar,
then hang it in the sun to dry.  If a mother is really concerned about
potential spores or viruses being transmitted through a bra, she shouldn't
buy a used one.

Amazing, the questions I get asked :-)

Michelle Bentley CLE