Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 13:37:09 -0500
Janet,
  Our 4th child is almost 2 1/2 years old now
and I have spent the last 2 1/2 years (and still counting)
letting go of my child bearing years. I know that when
Taeer and I wean (I imagine in the next year or so)
it will be hard for me, but it is part of the
process I am already going through. It is a long process
and like any loss, time does make it easier but there
will always be moments that are difficult, special anniversaries,
being in close personal contact with pregnant and/or nursing
mothers, whatever personal reminders set you off.

Some things that help me are remembering how blessed I am
to have 4 wonderful healthy children (although two of my
kids began their lives in NICUs) and to look forward with
anticipation and delight to their continued growth into adulthood
and my continued growth as the mother of high school (my oldest
is 13), college and adult children as well as my continued
growth in other areas of my life; professional, spiritual, artistic.

When my daugter was born 13 years ago, my grandmother (who,
at 92 is waiting to greet her 11th great grand child any minute now)
gave me a wonderful piece of advice. She advised that I never
rush any stage in my children's lives. There are parts of every stage
that we relish and parts that drive us crazy but it all passes very
quickly. I think that the other half of that advice is to know
how to let go of a stage when it is past and to greet the next
stage with joy, anticipation, thanksgiving.

Hope this is helpful.
  Naomi Bar-Yam