From:
Ruth Scuderi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 12:24:46 EST
<<I wouldn't make any special arrangements about baby at all.  None
whatsoever.  At least none that the court could discern.  Just show up,
together.  Like Pat said, they're a package deal.
Are not courtrooms considered safe places?  Is there an age limit to get
inside one?  Just assume it's all right, and if they object, find out what
they (the court) suggest for what to do with the baby, because it's here,
and it wants its food.>>

I would observe some caution before I advised a mother just to "show up"
with
her breastfeeding baby.  In this area, there are no children allowed in any
courtrooms.  There is a court-run child care center across from the
courthouse for children that "show up" with their parents for any kind of
courtroom duty.  I do not know what provisions, if any, are in place for
breastfeeding babies.  I wouldn't count on much support.  If it were me, I
would at least bring someone of my choosing to watch my baby around the
courthouse area.

Ruth Scuderi
IBCLC
Westfield, MA