From:
Liane Varnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 2010 08:29:19 -0700
OK Wise Ones -- I am in need of some of your wisdom. I work for a government
agency as a breastfeeding peer counselor, full time. I just found out I passed
the IBLCE exam. I put in a request for permission for a second job because I
want to start giving breastfeeding classes in my community (for a fee) and I
have at least two private practices and a hospital that are interested in my
serving their clients who are private health clients. My full-time job is with
public health.

In a nutshell, HR is telling me this is a conflict of interest if I charge for
my services, whether the client is private or not. They are saying I cannot be
paid for any speaking engagements either -- even if I make it clear that I am
representing myself and not the public health agency I work for.
They are also not prepared to offer me a raise or a promotion for my
accomplishments, which is adding insult to injury. However, this is secondary to
the denial of permission to begin to develop my private practice.

Liane C. Varnes, IBCLC