From:
Marilee Woodworth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Sep 1996 11:05:44 -0400
Margaret,
I appreciated your post about getting fathers interested and supportive of
breastfeeding. Our LLL group invites fathers to one meeting out of the
series. We rotate between the first three series meeting topics. For those of
you not familiar with League Meetings, the series topics are 1. The
Advantages of Breastfeeding 2. The Baby Arrives: The Family and the Breastfed
Baby 3. Overcoming Difficulties and 4. Nutrition and Weaning. Anyway each
series one of the first three meetings is designated as "Fathers especially
welcome." It has worked very nicely. We are an evening group and there are
other groups in our community which don't include fathers so mothers have an
option if they are concerned about nursing in front of a man. It never has
been a problem. The fathers that have come have been really supportive of
their wives and those meetings are always interesting. This way we don't have
to plan a special couples meeting.
Marilee Woodworth, IBCLC, LLLL, Ann Arbor, MI