From:
Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jun 2013 17:58:23 +0100
Susie

I can appreciate that the mom is upset and worried about risks to
herself and to her baby through her milk.

Regarding the risk of HIV, perhaps everyone needs to take a deep
breath, and make a rational risk assessment - how likely is it that
the acupuncturist treats HIV+ patients?  Who were her patients that
day and are any of them diagnosed as HIV+ - I would imagine that any
HIV+ patient accepting acupuncture would have something of a
responsibility to alert the acupuncturist of this possibility??

Did the MD also advise that the mother herself needed PreP
(post-exposure prophylaxis against possible HIV infection)????  If
not, then I would guess that the MD is not really worried about
risk..... or is attaching more risk to the baby via mother's milk
than to the mother via a possibly contaminated needle ????

But if so, then perhaps the MD would consider antiretroviral
prophylaxis for mother and breastfed baby?

Third option, rather than pumping and freezing her own milk, and
feeding the baby formula, she could home heat-treat her milk, which
inactivates HIV.....pending more info about the real risk.  Let me
know if I can send you an info sheet about how to do this.

Pamela Morrison IBCLC
Rustington, England