From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 1997 11:36:14 -0700
Hi All,
Recently saw an ad for a mother baby care line that new moms can call for
info on baby care and mother care issues/questions. It is staffed by RNs.
So, I thought I'd call (being a new mom who knows nothing) and ask a very
basic question.  The call went like this:

J: I'd like to ask a question about allergies and my baby.

RN: What is your name, baby name, baby b-day?  What is the problem?

J:  Well, my baby spits up all over the place all the time.  A friend told
me he might be allergic to dairy and I wanted to kno if that is possible.

RN:  You want to know if he is allergic to his formula?  (Notice she did NOT
ever ask if I was BF baby)

J:  Oh no.  He is a BF baby and has never had formula.  I wanted to know if
he was allergic to dairy in my diet.

RN:  No, that is not possible.  Babies aren't allergic to breastmilk.

J:  No. not my milk, but the dairy products I eat.  My friend said that the
dairy goes into my milk and into the baby,  and if the baby is allergic it
can cause spitting up.

RN:  No, that's not how it works.  Dairy products are neccessary for you.
When you drink milk it helps you create milk for your baby.  The dairy does
not go into your milk so dairy would not be a sensitising agent.  Now (it
gets good!) caffeine does go into your milk, so if you drank a lot of
caffeinated drinks then your baby might get an upset tummy and spit up.
There may be some medical reason that your baby is spitting up and you might
want to ask your Dr to run some tests to find out, but dairy products are
not a problem.

End of conversation.

So we have a new problem to deal with.  All I have is an 800 #.  I don't
know who to write to or contact at Johnson and Johnson to tell them that
this info is wrong.  I am concerned that if this is wrong, what else may be?
If anyone else wants to call them and pose more questions here is the number :
1-800-722-1322

Please let us know what you get told, and if someone has an address to write
to, let me/all of us know.  We need another writing campaign.....
Jay
Jay Simpson, CLE
Sacramento, CA
Mama Milk is the Greatest!