From:
Nancy Holtzman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Apr 2003 06:32:53 -0400
>From:    Peg Merrill, IBCLC
>I would like to ask the same questions about the new Medela Symphony pump.
>Has anyone used it, what was the experience, etc. ??

Actually, I have quite a bit of experience with that new pump.  I was the
on-site LC for the 5 days of the American Academy of Pediatrics national
conference this past October.  It was such a great experience, met all
sorts of interesting people, such as Betty Crase, Harvey Karp, Larry
Gartner, Nancy Wight, etc.  The pumps in the lactation lounge were provided
by Medela (two Symphony pumps, then brand new, and two Lactina's, plus all
the kits), the room itself was provided by a grant from Pfizer (if I
remember right) but my salary was paid directly by the AAP.  So I am not a
Medela sales person, nor do I currently sell or rent Medela products.
That said, I had very good experiences with the Symphony pump.  I had about
30 moms who usually used either a PNS, Lactina, or other pump choose to use
the provided Symphony, and about 95% of them had positive things to
say.  Some said it wasn't much different than their current pump, but
perhaps they pumped the same amount of milk is a bit shorter time.  Some
said (I quote) "It feels just like a baby nursing".  (Medela loved that,
huh?).  One woman complained that it tickled.
The Symphony has two cycles, the first is very rapid and lighter suction to
elicit let down, and the second is a slower cycle with longer, stronger
suck-release to express once let down occurs.
Try a Lactnet search on my name (holtzman) around October 2002.  I filed
daily reports and updates from the Conference, things I learned, heard,
saw, and updates on the new pump as well.
Nancy

Nancy Holtzman RN BSN IBCLC
www.great-beginnings.com
617.323.9977