Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 17:23:30 EST
Nikki reported that:

> .
>    de Boissieu et al in Acta Paediatrica 1997; 86:1042-1046 use prick
tests
> to show that food allergy during breastfeeding may be due to multiple
> foods.
> Sample was only 6 infants.

Ooo-- Nikki, do you have the article and can you summarize an analysis of
it?
 What I want to know is, did the prick tests correspond to foods the mother
was eating -- what were the symptoms of the babies before they did the
tests,
and if the mother eliminated the foods from her diet, were the symptoms
resolved?

I just have this feeling that if you took 100 newborns -- ages 3 months to 6
months perhaps, and did skin testing on all of them, I betcha 75% would show
up as "allergic" to something -- probably several somethings.  But that's
just a hunch, and is completely NOT EVIDENCE BASED.

Jan -- musing in Wheaton