From:
NicoLLLa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2012 06:49:35 -0300
At the 2007 LLLI Conference, Judy LaKind presented on environmental toxins in breastmilk.  She pointed out that the studies which showed that breastfed babies are healthier/had higher IQ etc. (sic) were actually done when some of the worst pollutants (DDT, PCB etc) were in highest use.  She also discussed the scientific advantages vs. societal disadvantages of using breastmilk for reasearch.  Scientists like breastmilk because it is (relatively) easy to come by, collection is non-invasive and it reflects a woman's historical exposure to the substance being studied (it also indicates what baby is *being* exposed to).  But the media takes research results, which are meant to inform other scientists of environmental issues, and delivers them to society at large as public health warnings. We then get the "toxic breastmilk" discussion.

Of course, that isn't to say that as a society we shouldn't be looking to reduce our use of toxic, and potentially toxic, chemicals, just that breastfeeding is still the best choice in a polluted world.

Nicola Aquino
LLLC Leader, who has been exposed (pun intended) to this field for many years