From:
Patrica Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 07:25:10 -0400
> If the mother has already catched a particular disease, how does her
> immunity pass to her milk?
The antibodies are actually in the milk

> and what happens if a mother hasn't catched a disease before? How does
the
> immunity components come into her milk?
It doesn't, unless she has had a vaccine for the disease.  Then it is the
same, antibodies in the milk.

The infant is protected by IgA, IgG, IgM, IgE, IgD.  Good discussion of the
immune system in Riordan & Auerbach, or Lawrence, or Lauwers & Shinkie.  I
guess in  any basic BF text.  Specifically mentioned is  immunity to polio
passed mother to baby.

Cunningham's article from J of Peds, May 1991 is a standard.  Jack Newman's
from Scientific American Dec 1995 (I think it is on-line at Cindy's site)
is another; also Lars A. Hanson,  in Science & Medicine Nov/Dec 1997 "BF
stimulates the infant immune system"; also LLLI's BFing: Baby's First
Immunization - sheet.

Let me know privately if you have trouble getting these resources in
Europe.
Sincerely, Pat in SNJ