From:
katherine in atl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 2004 08:21:56 -0400
<<Does anyone know how Tracheal mylasia (spelling is probably bad) and
how or
> if it could affect breastfeeding?>>

has anyone responded yet?    the actual term is tracheomalacia - malacia
meaning soft trachea

here's what a google search pulls up:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=tracheomalacia

<< I have a client whose baby is having
> trouble latching. Lots of fussing, crying, pushing away with occasional
> latching. I do not know if it affects breastfeeding and the doctor said
> the
> baby will outgrow the condition by 3 months or so. I am not even 100?
> sure
> what it is. The baby is a full term baby girl, one week old.>>

  tracheomalacia can affect breastfeeding.   there is some good stuff in
the archives.  i worked with on mom who's son was eventually dx'ed with
laryngomalacia or tracheomalacia (or both...which is
laryngotracheomalacia) but I can't remember the details as is was nearly
2 years ago.

their issues were dx'ed late in the game and by then, her supply had
been seriously impacted.   she'd been supplementing on her own (against
her peds advice) b/c she knew he wasn't getting sufficient milk at the
breast (she was right).  she syringe fed (more on that later) and
eventually supplemented with a bottle and orthodontic nipple (both per
mw's instructions)

to make a very long story short (long version in archives).  he was able
to nurse very well probably in part due to her low supply. he couldn't
handle a fast flow from anything - choking, pulling away, fussing, not
maintaining latch.  with 'just enough' flow,  he'd latch and manage.
needed to stop to breath and have feeding paced with a great deal of
awareness.

without more info, it's tough to say if your clients baby's
fussy-at-breast issues are b/c of oversupply, low supply, frustrated
baby who won't wait for letdown, poor transfer b/c of latch issues,
agressive non-nurser, a baby in pain (ie headache or other mechanically
induced pain from birth issues), or b/c breathing and sucking at the
same time is difficult b/c of the tracheomalacia......

do you have any more details?    do search the archives though.  tons of
good stuff.

:)
katherin ein atl