From:
sherwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 1996 01:06:45 +0800
This might gross some of you out.  When I was living in Chiang Mai, Thailand
about 12 years ago, a good Thai friend said that the best way to help your
baby breath when its nose seeded to be cleaned out was to gently place your
mouth over the baby's nose and suck the gunk out. She had learned this from
her mother, and said that this was standard in her home village. I guess it
isn't very hygenic, but mother and baby are presumably sharing germs any
way.  Also, to us Westerners, the thought of getting "nose stuff" in our
mouth is pretty bad.  Any way, I have 5 kids and have used this method on
the last 4.  I suppose there is some risk to the baby being suctioned too
hard, but not likely, and frankly, I can't imagine recommending this to a
client.  Just wanted to offer another way mothers in other parts of the
world mother their babies.  Nancy Sherwood in Perth, Australia, LLLL, IBCLC