From:
Debbi Heffern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2007 19:51:34 -0500
Yup!  When it's a second time mom and I explain this to her, she often gets tears of joy/relief/understanding in her eyes that it wasn't something she did wrong with baby #1, she's not an inadequate mother.  Nature just made her different and like all of us (on any topic), we celebrate doing the best we can with the resources we've got at the time.

Use the story.  Paint the word pictures.  A picture is worth a thousand words because even if it takes you a thousand words to paint it, it will stay in a new mom's mind better. And this is a particularly powerful story! A mom who had given up on giving birth sitting in a dark room doing nothing but holding and nursing her baby and glowing with joy for her blessings! (Stories also take the focus off the mom for a few minutes thereby reducing her stress.)

Debbi