From:
Robyn Roche-Paull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jul 2005 14:44:33 -0700
I thought this might be of interest to the professionals on this board.
Looks like the campaign did have some positive effect on the public.
Dear Partner:

 Thank you for supporting the national breastfeeding campaign, Babies
 Were Born to be Breastfed, by the U.S. Department of Health and Human
Services'
 Office on Women's Health. Breastfeeding Awareness Month (August) is
 fast approaching, so once again we are seeking your support.

 The Ad Council compiled a Breastfeeding Post-wave Tracking Report,
 which surveyed 1,000 adults on the public service advertising campaign
 -- Babies Were Born to be Breastfed. The results are interesting. The
 tracking report showed that those who had seen at least one of the
 campaign's public service ads were more likely to agree that
 breastfeeding reduces a child's chances of ear infections, obesity, and
respiratory
 illness.

 Some of the major findings in the tracking report include the following:

 	*	Recent awareness about breastfeeding rose significantly for
 women ages 18-34, from 30 percent in 2004 to 52 percent in 2005.
 	*	Recent awareness about breastfeeding rose significantly for
 men, from 22 percent in 2004 to 44 percent in 2005.
 	*	Men were more comfortable about seeing a woman breastfeed in
 public in 2005 (69 percent), than in 2004 (59 percent), and were more
 willing to have their own baby breastfed in public in 2005 (63
 percent) than in 2004 (53 percent).
 	*	Significantly more people felt that breastfeeding only, was
 the best way to feed a baby, from 54 percent in 2004 to 64 percent in 2005
 	*	The percentage of respondents who agreed that babies should
 be breastfed exclusively for the first 6 months, increased from 53
 percent in 2004 to 62 percent in 2005.

 A PowerPoint presentation on the breastfeeding campaign and the
 campaign research results can be found on our website,
 www.WomensHealth.gov <http://www.WomensHealth.gov>.

 We invite you to help us spread the word about breastfeeding and the
 national breastfeeding campaign by simply doing the following:

 	*	Linking your Web site to www.WomensHealth.gov
 <http://www.WomensHealth.gov>;
 	*	Sending a pre-written message out to your membership about
 breastfeeding, via e-mail; and/or
 	*	Posting the same pre-written message on your Web site with
 regard to your support of breastfeeding.

 Please choose your personalized message from one of the options below:

 	1.	(Insert name of your organization) supports Breastfeeding
 Awareness Month because Babies Were Born to Be Breastfed!  The U.S.
 Department of Health and Human Services' Office on Women's Health
 wants you to learn more about breastfeeding and why it reduces a
 child's chances of ear infections, obesity, and respiratory illness.
 Please visit www.WomensHealthgov <http://www.4woman.gov>, rated #1
 among all breastfeeding Web sites by the Journal of Human Lactation or
 call the Helpline at 1-800-994-WOMAN (9662), Monday through Friday, from 9
a.m. to
 6 p.m. EDT.

 	1.	We want babies to be healthier, parents to be more informed,
 and the public to be aware about breastfeeding, so (insert name of
 your
 organization) supports Breastfeeding Awareness Month. We invite you to
 learn more about breastfeeding and why it reduces a child's chances of
 ear infections, obesity, and respiratory illness: just visit
 www.WomensHealthgov <http://www.4woman.gov>, rated #1 among all
 breastfeeding Web sites by the Journal of Human Lactation or call the
 Helpline at 1-800-994-WOMAN (9662), Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m.
 6 p.m. EDT. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' Office on
 Women's Health wants you to know that Babies Were Born to Be Breastfed.

 Thank you for your supporting breastfeeding and our national
 breastfeeding campaign, Babies Were Born to Be Breastfed.

Sweet Nursings,

Robyn Roche-Paull
LLLLeader San Diego
MCH:LC student
Mom to Morgan (9) Siobhan (6) Tiernan (2)
Proud Military Wife to Stephen (11 years)