From:
Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Sep 2007 21:23:18 +0100
Sounds like the paediatrician is working out this baby's intake at
110 ml/kg/day at present - which would be a little high, in my
experience. The doctors I have worked with have had slightly
different protocols for sick newborns and pre-terms, but usually
ordered expressed breastmilk at 60 ml/kg/day on Day 1, 90 ml/kg/day
on Day 2, 120 ml/kg/day on Day 3, 150 ml/kg/day on Day 4 - Day 10,
then 180 ml/kg/day from 10 days onwards - and going up from there if
the baby is well.    However, if the eventual goal is 80 ml per feed,
then for an 8 lb 2 oz baby (3.6 kg) this would be about right.

Pamela Morrison IBCLC
Rustington, England (formerly in Zimbabwe)