From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Dec 2005 15:14:12 EST
I saw this news item but have not seen the journal article.  This  study was
conducted in the UK.  Dr. Sandra Dial and colleagues looked  at cases of
C-diff infections.  They found that patients with Rx for  powerful acid-fighters
called proton pump inhibitors, which include Prilosec and  Prevacid, were almost
three times more likely to be diagnosed with the bug than  those not taking
the drugs.  Those on less potent Rx drugs called H2  receptor antagonists,
which include Pepcid and Zantac, were two times more  likely than nonusers to get
C-diff infections.  This article should be  available today in the Journal of
the American Medical Association.
The study states that short term use for occasional symptoms are not at  risk
of the C-diff infection but patients should think twice about using such
heavy acid suppression over the long term.
I bring this up on LACTNET because I am seeing more and more babies being  Rx
these drugs and not for a few days or weeks but months or more.
One of the symptoms doctors like to use these medications is for  "colic."
I am working with a mother who had a 32 weeker.  Her baby was  discharged at
34 plus weeks breastfeeding and 4 bottles a day of ebm with  fortifier (to
increase the calories not for minerals).  Now the baby is 37  weeks adjusted,
gaining very well and has developed reflux.  The first  approach her pediatrician
wants to take is a Rx for Zantac.  The mother  wants to cut the bottles down
and soon out.  She will call me after her  appointment.
I think this new article is very important in the health community since
these drugs are so readily Rx and to many infants.
What do others think or see?
Ann Perry, RN IBCLC
Boston, MA