From:
Terri Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2008 15:43:49 -0500
I just wanted to post this, first time this has come up and hope I handeled
appropriately.  Baby was admitted three day old hyperbilirubina. double lights,
IV, mom breastfeeding on baby's cues. Mom's milk had just come in.
Pediatrician wanted mom's milk tested for electrolytes. Sample sent. Baby
nurses beautifully, good latch, freq swallows, etc. Mom's milk is low on
phosphorus. Pediatrician had recommendation to give baby fortifier in her milk.
I asked her if she could retest next week after mom has had a chance to
continue prenatal vitamins, eat well. I asked how many new moms may also be
low in phosphorus that we don't test. baby is gaining weight from discharge
adequate voids and stools. Stools are changing in color. Appropriate bili stools.
I asked if I could have a dietician talk with the mom to help her in meal
planning to get more phosphorus. Any other ideas out there?
Baby also has a elevated thryroid level as well.
Terri Klein RN CLE CLC
IBCLC wanna be. I am preparing for this year. Had a hip replacement that got
in the way and now I have no other excuse.