From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 1998 14:08:32 -0500
>Maybe we ought to have a letter-writing campaign to Aetna...

Here's the letter I now give Aetna clients, along with a copy of the
article in US New & World Report, highlighted in the sections that talk
about health and cost:

To Whom It May Concern:

__________________ is seeking reimbursement for my services as an
International Board Certified Lactation Consultant in helping her establish
or maintain breastfeeding with her child, __________________, born on
___________________.  These services may include a consultation fee,
breastfeeding supplies, and/or the rental of a hospital-grade intermittent
suction electric breast pump.

The enclosed article from U.S. News and World Report (pp. 79-80, Dec. 15,
1997) shows Aetna to be a leader in recognizing the cost savings that
result from supporting breastfeeding.    It is encouraging to see an
insurance company taking an active role in promoting good health.

If you need additional information to process my client's claim, please let
me know.

                Respectfully,

                Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC
                International Board Certified Lactation Consultant

In today's mail, I got a check for all but $19 of a December Pump In Style
purchase by an Aetna insuree.  That was before I started sending the above
letter, but after the article came out.  Maybe they've already started to
change their tune...

Diane Wiessinger, Ithaca, NY