From:
Brian Tordoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 1995 13:56:23 CDT
I was in error when I wrote my last comment on this subject.  Rather than
saying the Federal Regs (FR) state that juice is not given until 6 mos., I
should have said it gives each state the option of introduction of juice at
4 months or later.  For Missouri, it is mandated that juice not be given
until 6 mos of age.  I would presume that there are some other states out
there that do the same.  The FR do state however, "issuance prior to the
time when the infant can drink from a cup is discouraged.  The competent
professional authority shall instruct the participant's parent or guardian
to feed the juice to the participant from a cup to prevent "Bottle
carries.""  (The juice provided by WIC must be fortified with a minimum of
30 mg/100 ml for single strength juice.)
A little background on why WIC gives juices fortified with vitamin C (if my
memory serves me right.).  Studies have shown that for the target population
that WIC serves, the participants are deficient in some leader nutrients,
one of which is vitamin C.  Although some fruits are good sources of vitamin
C, such as citrus, they are not recommended for use by infants.  Fruits such
as bananas, peaches and pears are not good sources of vit. C, having less
than 10 mg/adult serving.  A serving of prunes (1/2 c. ckd) has only 3 mg.
Apricots are a little better at 11 mg/3 med., but are also costly.  It was
felt that the best way for this group of infants to get sufficient vit. C
was through fortified fruit juice.
I think we have to keep in mind the group of people we're talking about.
Though there are some very motivated women in this group that do continue to
exclusively BF for 6 months or longer, the majority do not.  They begin the
introduction of other foods,  breastmilk is no longer the mainstay of the
infants' diet.  Since this is the case, for this group of babies,
supplementation of vitamin C is necessary.  Although receiving vit. C from
fruits and veggies is the best possible route, lack of money, facilities,
cooking equipment, etc. may make it impossible for this group.  Therefore,
the vitamin C fortified juice is another way that the baby will get the
required amount of vit. C.
I know this will probably keep this debate going, but I had to put in my two
cents worth.

Debbie M-H