From:
pat Bull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 1996 16:18:49 -0400

>Would someone snail-mail me documentation of the Haberman feeder. Being
>"visual", I just cannot figure out how it works without seeing it but it
>seems to be quite an interesting tool.

The haberman has been around since 1984 designed with the help of Mandy
Haberman in England that had a Pierre Robin Syndrome infant.  The last
several years in NICU units and with the LCs, PTs, OTs, and NDTs trying
various things there have been many usages found with the haberman besides
Pierre Robin and Cleft lip/palate babies.  I am very visual too, so try this.
 Invision a horizontal slit in the end of a nipple.  When the nipple is in
the baby's mouth with the slit horizontal, the valve remains shut and there
is no flow.  (good for starting out premies that you want to see how
suck-swallow-breathing coordination is) When you slowly turn the nipple
(bottle) clockwise so the slit is now at a 45 degree angle, the valve will
partially open and you will have a moderate flow.  As you continue to turn
the bottle, until the slit is vertical, now baby is compressing or opening
the slit wider and you have maximum flow.  I refer it to "dialing up or down"
the flow.  One of the nice things is that baby needs to be active and sucking
to produce a flow, unlike the bottle that you can turn upside down and
gravity pulls the liquid down.  There is a one-way valve to prevent that from
occuring. Does that make more sense?  E-mail me if you have any further
questions.
Have a good weekend everyone.
"What we teach ourselves with our thoughts and attitudes is up to us"

Pat Bull, RN, IBCLC
The Breastfeeding Connection/Medela, Inc
Naperville, IL