From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 13:49:24 EST
Sorry about the last post which I sent by accident (not even a nursing
toddler in my lap this time!)

In a message dated 1/5/1 6:10:30 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<<The unsoothable baby with "colic" and the infant who just eats
and sleeps are both exhibiting hypothyroid symptoms.>> <snip>

<<Just thoughts about this crying baby and others when everyone thinks
it is what the mother is eating.>>  <snip>

<< In the health history, the director said to make sure to document
her infanthood, especially the infrequent bowel movements.   >>

Judy,
Thank you for sending this. I do not believe that only food allergies are
behind "colic", but something is. It is the premise of Functional Medicine
that gut integrity determines overall well-being, including quality of brain
function throughout life, beginning at birth. When a baby comes into the
world agitated and exhibits signs of poor gut integrity, I cringe when
mothers are told this is normal infant behaviour. I am afraid many parents
will one day be very sorry they accepted this dismissal. We are certainly
seeing many cases of hypothyroidism, autism, diabetes, allergy and other
chronic conditions in very young children. I have to believe that many of
these conditions have early indicators we are missing. And that they are
treatable at these early stages. I believe even we, as the advocates of
breastfeeding, underestimate the desperate damage done to children by Western
birthing and nourishing/nurturing (or lack-thereof) practices. This is the
reason I believe looking at diet is so important--so many chronic conditions
improve when diet is improved--why would this not be so for young children
and babies who may be only exhibiting warning signs of bigger problems and
grew up healthy. These are the very same people who tell a  mom who uses this
argument as an excuse for AF feeding being ok about the bell-shaped curve!
This is how I present my position to moms--you will never know what might
have been. But if there is an opportunity to remove the need for a baby or
child to have to learn to cope and accomodate, isn't it worth it? Whenever we
have to place energy in one area, it is no longer available in another. If a
child needs to struggle with behavioral problems due to food allergies, what
aspects of his life are diminished b/c of it? I have no proof of this
(although someone else may), but I believe that the sooner a weakness is
attended to, the greater the opportunity for it to be overcome. I guess this
is the point where I had better not digress into quantum physics, huh?

<<It  turned out so with both my daughters taking thyroid hormone
now, as does their dad who also has a very low basal temperature.
(This can be taken under the armpit before getting out of bed
in the am or by taking the temp of the first morning urine.)>>

Pre-menopausal women must take the temp on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th days of
menstruation.

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA