From:
"Ann M. Calandro" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 1997 22:49:33 EST
Mom of a 2 month old who has gained 5 pounds since birth went to MD for 2 month
check up.  She mentioned that baby spits up after every feeding.  MD did a test
on the stool and said it contained sugar which means that the baby is lactose
intolerant.  He told her that she could continue breastfeeding for now but if
the spitting continues, she will need to give him Lactofree formula.

I know that lactose intolerance is very rare, but what does sugar in the stool
mean?  The mom tried to give him a bottle of Lactofree today but baby refused
it.

I would appreciate an answer for her, and for me.  Thanks!

Ann Calandro, RNC, IBCLC