From:
Lisa L Black <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 17:07:27 -0500
After the Chicago Hope episode last night, the local news had a little
blurb about the show.  They proceded to talk about the benefits of BF and
that local doctors support the fact that BF is the best start for baby.
They even showed a new mother at a doctor visit (looked like the baby was
2 weeks) and the doctor was telling her that everything looked great with
her technique and that baby looked great.
At the end of the segment, the news person said (as I remember it) that
in one study 5% of mothers don't produce enough milk and need to
supplement with another source of milk.  I heard about a study that said
it was only 2% of mothers have a problem where they would not be able to
produce enough milk.
These were my biggest gripes:
-This "Baby Friendly" contract they kept talking about, was it signed in
blood or what?
-They fact that they had the doc mother in the bathroom pumping milk
(which by the way looked like     either cows milk).  You would think
that in a hospital with all of those offices and unattended room  that
she could have had a more sanitary place to do this.  I guess they wanted
to show how "hard" it  is to go back to work and having to pump.
-The way they showed the neighbor feeding her "quiet,secure" baby a
bottle, while the doc mom's  baby is screaming her head off.  If that
were my child she would have been in the sling nursing  quietly (and
discretely) without any need to fuss.
-The only redeming value that I could see was when the doc mom is
approached by the Mark  Harmon character and she suggests "pumping and
dumping" instead of quitting BF.  That was about  the only educated thing
they said about BF.  On the other side, his comment "That sound's like a
lot  of work".  That just made me want to scream.  Shouldn't any mother
be willing to go through a little  hardship for the good of her child?
Just my .02 worth.
Lisa Lynn Black,
Jordan (5), Chandler (3) and Grasyn (5 months)
Loving wife to Steve for 9 years
Aspiring Midwife in Dallas, Texas

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]