Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 14:11:44 EST
In a message dated 3/3/2 11:36:00 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< Second.... I have to share something about the hospital i work at. Only the
Lactation Consultants and not the regular nurses (including myself) have
access to the nipple shields, preventing the rest of us from passing them out
freely. Perhaps that might be a good idea for the hospital that has nurses
handing out shields like candy. Just a thought,>>

Maureen, I agree, and this is how we handle it where i work also, reasons; to
make sure it is an appropriate use, and that the teaching on cautions, use,
management, and follow-up etc have been done.

Having been on LN for many years now, I remember this topic coming up often,
there are many post in the archives on nipple shield use, some of which will
have the details and be helpful to anyone wanting to write a policy for their
hospital. Barbara Wilson Clay's post comes to mind presently.

Search suggestions, in addition to nipple shield; nipple variations,
inverted, retracting, some of my past related LN post had to do with the
"latch-defying" breast.

Debbie Tobin
RN BSN IBCLC LCCE
Springfield, Virginia USA
In the Fairfax County suburbs outside the Washington DC beltway