From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 1997 13:05:03 -0800
Diane:
Well, I for one am trying to convert the "mini-culture" of bf to a
"macro-culture" of bf.  It's really tough to think of changing an entire
culture one baby at a time, but that's what we do.  In addition, we need to
encourage anyone who is willing to speak openly about ALL the positives of
breastfeeding.  Seemingly silly things like being able to go camping
without worrying about access to sterilizing or carrying bottles, may
appeal to people who would otherwise say they "didn't want to be
'tied-down' by bf."  Avoiding stains in clothing is another one that may
appear trivial.  Non-smelly poop is one of my husband's favorites.  He
actually wanted to delay solids as long as possible with out second just
for that reason (you just never know what motivates some people).  So, what
I am saying is that all our talk about the immunologic and other
medical/health benefits may fall on deaf ears with some people.  Just like
telling teens "they're going to die from smoking."  Health educators have
found that telling them "they'll taste like an ashtray and who would want
to kiss you then?" works better.  'Just my .02 worth.

: )Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC  email: [log in to unmask]   : )
: )HSR & Health Educational Consultant        voice/fax: 541 753 7340    : )
: )LLLLLLLLLLLLL**CHANGE THE WORLD, NURTURE A CHILD!**LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL : )