From:
Lactation Consultant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Feb 2006 12:57:45 -0500
Is this mom in a breastfeeding support group? 18 years ago I was told by another breastfeeding mom that if I weaned my baby my post-partum depression would stop. False information lead me to wean my 4 month old.I am a lactation consultant now and I had a difficult time forgiving that person for mis-informing me. After I weaned I still had PPD and the only relief at that time for me was a mothers support group and grief or post partum counseling. Weaning her pumping is not the answer. Support and medical evaluation may be where to begin. Pumping 8-10 times a day and nurturing twins can be overwhelming on its own.
I have since started a Nurturing Your Newborn Support group as an answer to many moms who are alone, overwhlmed and sometimes depressed. My weaning now does not seem so hurtful and in vain.
J. Adames, RN, BSN, IBCLC.