From:
Kathy Rubin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 04:30:00 EST
I agree with Barb that we cannot take experienced moms for granted. Case in
point was a mom with 2nd baby on whom I did home visits. First day, she felt
baby was bf fine; I observed shallow latch, but mom not willing to try any of
the changes that I suggested to improve latch. Second day, mom informed me
that baby had not wet since I had been there the previous day!!! This time
she agreed there was a problem and more willing to listen. Another mom with
3rd baby called with nipple soreness--worst case I had ever seen....and mom
could not understand why...she was even using the "triple lanolin hand
cream"!! Was she surprised when I showed her how to improve latch and things
actually felt better right away! Healing measures fixed the rest.

I also like to carefully review assessment of swallow and I&O/diaper count
with grand multips as the breast tissue may become so elastic after several
pregnancies (notice I said pregnancies, NOT breastfeeding!) that the baby may
have trouble reaching the sinuses. Mom thinks baby is l/o fine, even feels
"pulling" but little milk transfer unless baby is on deep enough.

We cannot take "experience" for granted!!!

Kathy in NJ