From:
"A. Montgomery" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 1995 11:36:27 -0700
I'm anxious to follow the discussion about zealotry since I struggle with
it as well.  In my role as teacher, I am quite clear that I am a zealot
with no apologies and am not afraid to say why.  As a doctor, I keep in
mind that I want what's best for my patients; I'd love it if they would
all breastfeed for a long time and encourage them to do so, but don't
condemn them or think badly of them if they don't.  (One can be
anti-smoking and still care about smokers!) In some cases, exclusive
breastfeeding with no supplements is not best for the baby.  In
occasional cases, weaning may the best answer to a mother's needs. I find it
helpful to remember that any breastfeeding is better than none and there are no
breastfeeding failures, only short or partial successes. I want moms to
see their breastfeeding experience as positive, even if they only try
once in the hospital, so they may try twice-- or breastfeed for two years--
with their future children.

In LLL, I think we have a hard time looking at breastfeeding and
mothering both together and separately.  There are other LLL leaders who
can't understand how I could have been accredited with a few months of
less than optimal experience early in my son's life; there are others who
are tremendously supportive.  I don't think we need to be afraid to stand
up for what we believe,and to model a particular way of mothering, but it's
possible to do that while still allowing mothers to choose what works for them.

-- Anne Montgomery, M.D., faculty family physician (part-time), LLL leader,