From:
Louise Dumas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 19:49:46 -0400
Just coming back from a week off in Montreal at the LLL symposium....saw
the discussion on vitamin K and eye ointement. Could not resist....

In Quebec, we don't give vitamin K and eye ointement in the delivery
room but more often just before baby goes for his first long sleep after
delivery. This gives teh parents the opportunity to stay with their baby
and get to start to know each other before both mom and baby fall
asleep. In Gatineau (Western Quebec),  it would usually take at least
two to three hours before we intervene and sometimes, those two
interventions will wait after baby's first bath, after he/she wakes
up....

Canada is such a large country, we cannot assume all provinces do the
same...and we are even rapidly changing a lot of our old practices...

Louise Dumas, R.N., M.S.N., PhD
Professor-researcher in Nursing Sciences
University of Quebec at Hull (Western Quebec)

mailto:[log in to unmask]