From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 21:47:07 +0100
Denise and Heather have posted on bottles being used as graphics on a
breastfeeding website, and how people associate baby with bottle.
Funny this should come up today.  I bumped into the daughter of a colleague
in town today.  She just had her second baby, and after spending the first
two years of her eldest child's life working in Ethiopia she is very
sensitive to the significance of breastfeeding.  While I was waiting for the
shopkeeper to wrap my purchase, this alert young woman pulled from her
pocket the ticket stub from her trip by air to my town.  'Look!' she said,
'isn't this something for you to work on?  ALL the airlines use this the
symbol to show you are taking your baby along!'  And she pointed to the tiny
sticker in the shape of a feeding bottle, marked with the word 'BABY', fixed
to her stub.  This was an SAS ticket, no less, the airline based in the
industrialized nations with the lowest rates of bottle feeding anywhere.
We did manage to get a baby figure in a diaper as the symbol for changing
rooms at airports, so there are no feeding bottles shown in the new
airports.  But the airlines have a way to go yet.  I am not suggesting they
make a sticker in the shape of a breast.  Why not a sticker of a BABY?
Anyone here work for an airline?
Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway