From:
Sharon S Knorr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 1998 18:13:19 -0500
I would like to second Dr. Jack's warning about giving formula.  My first
child was given formula (20 years ago) for a bilirubin problem.  Turned
out he had a terrible allergy to cow's milk, among many other things.
Within a week, he had excema from head to toe and I had to then find a
way to feed my very sensitized baby.  Every little thing would get into
my milk and affect him, so I was on a very restricted diet until after he
was a year old. Just a drop of milk on his skin or a pinch of whole wheat
flour would bring on immediate hives. He gradually outgrew most of his
food allergies, but then developed asthma when he was about five years
old.  Then you have the other issues such as possible predisposition to
diabetes.  I, too, have urged some moms to give baby formula when
necessary, but I think that other interventions may be more appropriate
during those first few days when many babies are just a little slow
getting started.

Sharon Knorr, BSMT, LLLL, IBCLC
Lactation Consultant Services
Rochester, New York
mailto:[log in to unmask]

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]