From:
Suzanne Shabdue <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 1997 20:02:17 -0500
Dear LacNetters-

I think Chris originated this topic a couple posts back when she discussed
DNA testing of babies for security purposes.  (?)  I 've since read several
posts where LacNetters have described security procedures at their maternity
wards.  One issue I haven't seen discussed is baby-napping or security in
Birthing Centers.  I'm interested to know if security is an issue at these
Centers.

I only have my personal experience to base my opinion, but I assume most
Birth Centers have the following qualities:  fewer visitors (if any), the
baby is always in the same room with mom, small medical staff, less time
spent at the Center after birth, etc.  Do you see where I'm headed?  At a
Birth Center you know all the attending staff b/c there are so few of them,
so a stranger stands out immediately.  Less time spent away from home, means
less chance of a baby -napping occuring.

  I know the Birth Centers are not for everyone, but they provide a wonderful
atmosphere for prenatal care and delivery.  If anyone is interested, let us
know the  security procedures in Birthing Centers and if baby-napping is a
concern.  I'm a strong believer that healthy, low-risk women should be
referred to these Centers for prenatal care and delivery.  Now I've hopefully
got one more reason why clients/friends should seek out their help.

Suzanne Shabdue, RD,LDN
Breastpump Rental Station
Delivered @ Carolina Birthing Center, High Point, NC  on 3-4-96 a healthy,
8.14# boy