From:
Cathy Liles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 1997 20:20:10 -0600
I was interested to read in this new to my bookstore book, "Recommended by
WABA and UNICEF" Authored by M. Sara Rosenthal their intro which states,"The
information in this book is both -percent correct and completely current as
of 1995. Much of what you'll find here has not been published before.... Bon
appetit!"

Some information which was new to me included info about

"witch's milk" which goes away "as baby is weaned from your hormones."

"Montgomery glands which act as tiny muscles that contract and widen to help
get the milk out"

"Colostrum which helps protect the baby from jaundice and many other
infectious diseases"

"Large-breasted women may have to express/pump their breasts between fedings
just to manufacture enough milk"

"Imagine the tip of a condom.  Now take your pinky finger and poke the tip
inward so that it lies inside the condom. That's what an inverted nipple
will do."

"Nicotine can reduce the benefit of breast milk"

"Timing is another key factor for women of low incomes. Breastfeeding does
require on-demand feeding..."

"There is plenty of documented proof that HIV can be passed from a mother to
child through breast milk."

"WHO recommends that BF be continued until at least 2 years of age. This
translates into...using breastmilk as a supplement until two years of age"

"Because breast milk contains such high levelsa of lactose and vitamin C,
the small amount of iron breast milk does contain is absorbed completely."

Breast milk has "less salt, which means... that the breastfed baby is more
able to tolerate and recover from illnesses like diarrhea without becoming
dehydrated as a formula-fed baby"

Enough or do you want more????? Cathy