From:
"Dr. Tom Hale" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 1995 15:15:49 -0600
To Diane Karnbach:

to Amoxycillin should breastfeed  following treatment of mom with this drug.

        My number one question is,   is the infant truly allergic to
amoxicillin,  or as is most common,  did the infant just have a skin allergy
at the same time he/she was exposed to amoxicillin.   In essence,  is the
child truly allergic to penicillin ?   Far too often,  children are declared
allergic to XXX,  when in actuality,  they just had some other unrelated
reaction.  This is very unfortunate for the child,  because it means they
can no longer use one of the most effective families of antibiotics,  which
could be life threatening sometime in the future when they may need a
penicillin.

        If you can undeniably answer this question...YES  he/she is
allergic,  then it would be unwise for the mom to breastfeed while on  ANY
penicillin.  Allergic reactions are generally Not dose related,  even
absorption of small amounts by the infant could be dangerous.

         Other suggestions for mom could include, cephalosporins(only 16%
cross reactivity),  erythromycins, azithromycin,   sulfonamides, etc.

Tom Hale

If a baby is allergic (hives) to Amoxycillin, what is the amount that is
transfered to the baby by mom taking the medication?  Should she request
another antibiotic?

TIA

Diane Karnbach, LLLL