From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Apr 2005 15:17:34 +0200
The situation with a mother of twins who has no milk supply and is upset
that her babies will not suckle at the breast, puzzles me.  She does not
want the breast to be associated with food.  I am not aware of any babies
who suckle just for the sake of having a breast in their mouth, and get all
their food somewhere else, particularly not babies who've never been
satiated at the breast.  What would motivate a baby to take a dry breast,
regularly?  It seems like it could be uncomfortable to suckle at, even.
In essence, this mother has weaned, in that the babies are getting fed
elsewhere.  Nobody needs to tell her to do it; it's a done deed.  It sounds
like it is time to explore her thoughts and feelings about what
breastfeeding is, and what a baby's needs are, so she can deal with the
reality of her situation.  Perhaps she will reconsider her decision on
supplementing at the breast.  I can certainly acknowledge her sadness at the
loss of a BF relationship, as can any of us.  But her infant daughter can't
be expected to remedy it on command - what is in it for the baby?  Maybe the
baby wants closeness without a breast in her mouth, who knows?
Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway