Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 15:29:32 EDT
In a message dated 4/12/99 1:25:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

>  AARRGGHH again! But why is that? I know we discuss this again and again and
>  again here. But if we could get to the root(s) of this, perhaps we could
>  change the outcome.

  I think it's a simple question of economics. Breastfeeding is free and
promotes good health. Formula-feeding makes pharmaceutical companies,
doctors, and hospitals very rich.

Look how quickly doctors began promoting "back to sleep" once the benefits
became known. This is despite the fact that it was deeply ingrained in our
culture that babies should sleep on their bellies. They took easily to the
new info and made the switch in thinking/practice because no one stood to
lose money by the change.

I like this quote:

"This (infant feeding) seems to be the one area where you can practice
medicine in the 1990s-- with 1960s know-how--and not get sued."~Pediatrician
Dr. Jay Gordon, quoted in _So That's What They're For!:Breastfeeding Basics_,
by Janet Tamaro

Katie Allison Granju
Knoxville, TN