From:
Amir Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 15:47:10 +1000
<The Mom denies any problems with cold sensitivity or history of  Raynard's.
Do you know if women who had the nipples cut are prone to Raynard's?>

As this woman has no history of Raynaud's disease, I would be calling this
"nipple vasospasm" - less confusing.
Some people are prone to vasospasm - tends to be people with low BMI,
tendency to have cold hands/feet.
Sometimes the vasospasm is secondary to either trauma (eg nipple damage),
infection (eg nipple thrush) or emotional stress.
I would think this woman is getting the vasospasm as a secondary effect of
the surgery.
Usually, people are relieved when they are given information about this
condition, and advice to keep nipples warm, wear breast warmers, take
magnesium supplement. If the condition persists, medication (nifedipine) can
be given.
Lisa Amir
MBBS, MMed, PhD, IBCLC in Melbourne, Australia