From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Aug 2001 23:34:09 -0400
Most Hospitals hire RN/IBCLCs I guess becoz they are familiar with RN. I
think it is good that some are beginning to recognize the ibclc credential
and require that the RN they do hire for lactation also have the ibclc. That
is a step forward. I have worked several hospitals and even though I have
not started IVs, given meds, etc in any of them where my job has been LC, I
have been made to take the orientation and pass the medication
administration, IV therapy course, wound care, and Central line dressing
changes, even though I argued this was a waste of time and their money to
pay me. They said all RNs have to do this. Until the ibclc credential is
licensed or registered somehow and recognized by the bureaucracy, we will
never get anywhere with employment and 3rd party payment. I realize some
hospitals hire non-RN ibclcs (good) and some are getting 3rd party payment,
but I'm talking on a grander scale. I guess we need to look at the history
of some other allied health professions to see how they progressed.
As far as some hospitals offering free LC services, I have mixed feelings
about this. I see clients in private practice and charge a much higher fee
than my hospital does for me to see a consult as part of my job there. Some
hospitals offer free visits as part of a community service same as they
offer free childbirth classes (some are for fees) or free skin cancer
screenings, whatever. It really is a marketing technique and I can see the
good of it too. Someone once suggested if your job is mainly ibclc to put
that credential first. I will try to do so, altho after 22 yrs, this is hard
to change. Also, becoz of the uncertain job market I intend to keep my RN,
altho I would love nothing better than to drop it and be solely an ibclc.

Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
Violet Louisiana, s.e. USA