Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 1997 13:02:53 -0500
Dear Lactnetters:
      A college student came to me today to gather information for a project
she's doing for her Women's Health class.  She decided on breastfeeding as
her topic for a teaching poster.  She decided on the topic after discovering
how little the text talked about breastfeeding.  She brought me her textbook,
entitled "New Dimensions in Women's Health".
     I was appalled.  Would you believe that the only two references to
breastfeeding in the entire text warn that moms who BF and smoke pass
nicotine on to their babies and that there is "no way to tell when fertility
returns" so moms who count on BF for birth control will probably become
pregnant again within 9 months.  THAT'S IT!!  Positively NO MENTION of BF as
related to Women's Health.  NONE.
    The book is published by Jones & Bartlett, 1994 (who also publishers
"Breastfeeding and Human Lactation").  The authors are Linda Lewis Alexander,
PhD, RNC at the Dept of Health Education at the University of Maryland,
COllege Park, MD, and Judith LaRosa, PhD, RN, Deputy Director of the Office
of Women's Health at NIH in Bethesda, MD.  Don't they know better?  Does
anyone know them?  Suggestions on how to share information for a more
complete second edition?

    -Debi Page Ferrarello, RN, IBCLC, who is very glad that the students of
this one particular class will get a bit more BF info than their text
provides!