Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 2004 22:29:28 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
Jan writes:
"I wonder what the  uterine rupture rate for VBACs would be if there was no induction or  augmentation with Pitocin?"

Exactly, we see an increase in uterine rupture in the past 10 years and we think VBAC is unsafe, rather than asking ourselves what other factors (such as the increase in induction rates) can be the cause.

I don't see how we can possibly compartmentalize birth and breastfeeding. A culture that is willing to choose technology is willing to choose technology in most, perhaps all things. The choice to artificially-feed is a choice of technology. A choice to have a cesarean birth is the same thing--a belief that technology is either equal to or superiorior to the norm. Yes, some women have every technological intervention and still breastfeed. But, if we believe that all that matters is a "healthy" mother and baby by--defined by medical standards, then we never even have to ask ourselves what truly defines a "healthy" mother and baby and whether this state is one to be honored and supported and nurtured or whether it can be safely pushed aside. IMO, we have accepted a false premise and we continue to hold ourselves up to this model. I do not believe we will ever be a breastfeeding culture so long as we accept this premise. I would rather understand what is at risk when we trash nature's plan and work to eliminate that risk.

Finally, it occured to me that we are growing many more LC's than we seem to be growing LLLL's. Wouldn't it make sense that we should have many more LLLL's--stewards of normal breastfeeding, than LC's--trained to repair the damage of medicalization? I think we can see this happen when we rely on midwives--stewards of normal birth and mimimize the practice of obstetrics--trained to rescue the mother and baby when the situation truly warrants. Yes, the more I think about it, the more I know that how we birth as a culture defines us and determines whether or not we breastfeed (especially exclusively and in a physiologiclaly normal way).
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA

ATOM RSS1 RSS2