From:
"Beard, Meg" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 2017 17:33:45 +0000
Hi Team Lactnet,

I am in need of an articles or personal stories of how much time it takes in your setting regarding an initial and follow up Lactation Consult.  Please let me know what setting you might be in - hospital outpatient, community center, WIC,  or private practice.
I work in a Public Health Department in Santa Barbara California USA.  We bill for lactation services via Medi-Cal or Medicaid (for low income families). Some of us sit in WIC and others co-locate in the Health Care Centers.

I am in need of justification for our 90 minute lactation consultant time slots.  In this 90 minute slot, our  six IBCLCs often have to complete screening and assessment forms, assess the participant, weight check, pre and post weight check, sometimes issue an electric pump, complete a doctor report, fax the doctor report to OB and Pediatrician, WIC MIS note (computer system), Peer Counselor Data Base (PCDB) note if a Peer Counselor participant , and Comprehensive Perinatal Service Program (CPSP) assessments forms when needed, provide a follow up appointment in the health care center scheduling program  (sometimes we have to mini-register them if have just walked in 10+ minutes), and we are still paper billing.

Ø  If you have IBCLCs or other lactation profession that complete BF assessments, how much time is allotted per person
Ø  What research have you found regarding how long an IBCLC should spend conducting an assessment.

I appreciate your response.
Meg

Meg Beard MPH, MCHES, RDN, IBCLC
Santa Barbara County Public Health Department
Nutrition Services Breastfeeding Program / WIC
Breastfeeding Coordinator & HIV Nutrition Advocate
315 Camino del Remedio    Santa Barbara, CA 93110
(805) 681-5276     Fax (805) 681-4755
Breastfeeding - A Public Health Issue
Formula Increases the Risk of Diabetes & Obesity
Breastfeeding - A Social Justice Issue

The information contained in this transmission may contain privileged and confidential information, including patient information protected by federal and state privacy laws. It is intended only for the use of the person(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution, or duplication of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.